Search Our Catalog

Item #: CWB12003
Click on an image to enlarge


Civil War Union Brigadier General. Born in Eastpoint, Maine, he graduated from West Point 30th in the class of 1835. As a 2nd Lieutenant with the 4th United States Infantry he was seriously wounded fighting Seminoles in 1836, went on frontier duty, won a brevet to Captain for gallantry at Contreras and Churubusco during the Mexican War, and, following another severe wound at Molino del Rey, was brevetted Major and given 3 years' recuperative leave. Until spring 1862, either on the frontier or in Washington D.C., he served on paymaster or staff duty. He would live for life in pain, never fully recovered from his early war wounds or deprivations suffered during Civil War service. Commissioned Brigadier General of Volunteers on August 28, 1862, he assumed command of the 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, II Corps, Army of Virginia on July 16, then took command of the 2nd Division on August 9 for the Battle of Cedar Mountain. Captured in this fight, he was held until December, and the next summer, following the Battle of Gettysburg, led the 2nd Division, III Corps, Army of the Potomac in a number of engagements against elements of the retiring Confederate army in the vicinity of Harpers Ferry and western Maryland. His last active combat service came that autumn in the unproductive Bristoe and Mine Run Campaigns. His performance as commander of the 2nd Division dissatisfied Major General George G. Meade, and he was implicated by corps commander Major General William H. French in the division's failure to have engaged Confederate General Robert E. Lee's troops on November 26, 1863, the opening day of the Mine Run Campaign. He next commanded garrison troops in the Districts of Cairo, Illinois,; Pamlico, North Carolina,; and Columbus, Georgia,; and briefly the 5th Division, XVIII Corps in the Department of North Carolina. Brevetted Colonel and Brigadier General of Regulars on March 13, 1865, for faithful service, he mustered out of the volunteers on April 30, 1866, and resumed paymaster duties. He received promotion to Lieutenant Colonel of Regulars in the paymaster's department on March 3, 1877, and was retired on December 31, 1879. Despondent over his health, he committed suicide in his hotel room in London, England.

Shipping Weight: 0.7 lb
 $275.00 USD