Search Our Catalog

CNC JOHN RESSE WOODEN PRESENTATION PLAQUE ~ DEPT NEBRASKA
Item #: CWB12272
Click on an image to enlarge
FRAME 20" X 20" ~ FRAMED PRESENTATION PIECE GIVEN TO COMMANDER IN CHIEF JOHN REESE BY MEMBERS OF POST 21 ~
IT ONLY MAKES SENSE THAT THIS WAS GIVEN TO REESE BY MEMBERS OF WADSWORTH POST NO.21, SYRACUSE, NEBRASKA.


John Reese was born in Clark County, Ohio, December 23, 1845. His father passed away when he was three years old. He lived with his mother and stepfather until the age of eleven when he was hired out to a neighbor; then at the age of twelve, he went to work at a wool mill, working in the summer and going to school in the winter. When the war broke out in 1861, and in August, 1862, he enlisted at the age of sixteen in Company A, 113th Ohio Infantry. After serving one year, his health failed and he was discharged for disability. After returning home he attended school for two years and then engaged in the wool manufacturing business. He was married and to this marriage was born three daughters. Because of failing health he gave up the wool manufacturing business and moved to Bellefontaine, Ohio where he read law under Judge William Lawrence, and was admitted to the bar in 1882. He was elected mayor of Bellefontaine for two terms. In 1886 he moved to Callaway, Custer County, Nebraska where he practiced law for one year. In 1887 he was elected county judge of Custer County and moved to Broken Bow, with his three daughters. In 1890, the United States land office was established and opened for business on July 1, 1890, with Judge Reese as register, appointed by President Harrison. He served one term and when the administration changed, he returned to his law practice, until 1903, when he was appointed by President Roosevelt and again to the land office, and was reappoint by President Taft. He served in that position continuously thirteen years and in all for eighteen years, serving under Democratic presidents Cleveland and Wilson.

During that time in 1900, he served as Department Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic in Nebraska.
After expiration of his official career, he went to his home on a sheep ranch, which he had been building for a number of years and was the largest in the county. He was remarried in 1917, and in 1928 he became Commander-in-Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic. His wife was active in the Woman’s Relief Corps. He was active in the Republican party and a Mason for fifty years. He passed away on the 5th of January, 1935, and buried in the Evergreen Cemetery, Beatrice, Nebraska.

BEAUTIFUL DESIGN WITH EACH BRANCH OF SERVICE SEEN IN THE ARMS OF THE STAR
ONE-OF-A-KIND ITEM

PICK UP ADVISED ~ SHIPPING WILL BE ADJUSTED AFTER CK-OUT, IF NEEDED

HARD TO GET A GOOD PHOTOGRAPH BECAUSE OF THE REFLECTION ~ THIS LOOKS GREAT IN HAND, ESPECIALLY ON THE RED BACKGROUND
Shipping Weight: 8 lbs
 $550.00 USD